Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Torpedo

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - American IPA 7.2% ABV


Oh my.


Let’s start with the name. You know I dig names that are apt for the beer. This is no exception. A torpedo is long and sleek,
spectacular and can cause great damage. A balanced 7.2% ABV Extra IPA with explosive hop character as a sessionable beer makes this extremely dangerous. Like a torpedo, if you didn’t already pick up on that...

Torpedos can sink ships as well, but I can’t draw any analogies to this beer for that point.

Firstly this pours quite thick for a pale beer and looks like a clear, ruby trophy that signifies an emphatic win in the choices of life leading up to this moment.

Then you smell it. Promises of big hop character greet you lovingly. So inviting. Just so... oh sorry I lost my train of thought whilst smelling it again. You’ll have to excuse me, I just have to have a sip.
How is a beer like this so balanced?
The sweet, caramel malt comes in simultaneously with this huge hop character that makes my heart warm with joy. Ahh, a hopheads delight. The taste develops into the gorgeous, high bitterness hop flavour that actually finishes on the highest bitterness which just invites you into another sip.
It’s a perpetually enjoyable IPA. I’m nearing the end of my glass and I’m already hatching various schemes to obtain some more. One method includes going and buying some more.
A fantastic IPA that really needs to be enjoyed by everyone. Or just me. I don’t care. Find your own beer actually, this beer won’t be readily available near me. I’ll need to stock up.
Bravo, Sierra Nevada. Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment