Saturday, March 5, 2011

Grand Ridge Brewery - Supershine




Extra Strong Scotch Ale / Barley Wine - ABV 11.0%

Lately I have revisited a number of beers that have been on the scene for a while, but I may have overlooked in an attempt to navigate some unchartered waters.

Upon finding a local bottleshop that had really upped it's selection of quality micro brewed beers in recent times I decided to pick up a few treats from the Grand Ridge Brewery. And I tell you, it was like visiting some old friends you haven't seen in a while.

The full stop (or exclamation point, I guess) of the night was the venerable Supershine.

The bigger (meaner) brother of the Moonshine, and is not messing around.

A super strong ale, something more of a barley wine that pours like a dream. A very silky dream indeed.

It smells like a big, beautiful, malty strong ale and it boasts one of the biggest mouthfeels around, certainly in Australian beer. An immediate, deep, malty flavour shortly followed by and intense hit of alcohol.

The aftertaste is a particular favourite of mine. Strong hints of chocolate and coconut which excites me as I can liken it to a lovely Bounty bar.

On a tangent, I have a strong belief that the Bounty bar is the most underrated chocolate bar around. For more on this please read my other blog: From Bounty to Eternity. 


(Please do not search that blog as it does not exist, and why would it? What a boring blog that would be.)


All in all a lovely strong ale and an excellent example of the joy of revisting some old favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment